Outdoor Gear Rental Program
Gear rentals are 4 days in length including the day you begin checkout*
*All gear rentals during breaks and Summer are 10 day rentals. Outdoor Gear Rentals for Summer Break will begin 5/15/14 at 6am and end 8/1/14. All summer gear must be checked in and returned by 8/8/14 at 8pm.
The Outdoor Gear Rental Program is only available to current Recreation Center Members who have a valid membership.
All Outdoor Gear rentals are processed through the equipment desk to better accomodate your outdoor rental needs. Equipment will now be available for check-out and check-in anytime the Rec Center is open! The Outdoor Program desk will continue to check out maps and books free of charge during normal Climbing Wall hours.
Please visit the Service Center to purchase either of the following memberships:
- a $10 one month rental pass -or-
- a $40 semester rental pass
Members in this program can check-out available items FREE OF CHARGE as long as their normal recreation center membership remains current and their gear rental membership remains current as well. The following rules and restrictions apply:
- Renters must have a valid Campus Recreation Membership
- Renters must have a valid Outdoor Gear Rental Membership
- Outdoor Gear Rental Passes are non-refundable whether the equipment is used or not. Please make sure to call to check at the equipment desk to ensure they have the equipment you need prior to purchasing your pass.
- The renter assumes sole liability for any injuries or damages received while using the equipment. Any claim about the unsuitability of the rented equipment is limited solely to the refund of the rental pass.
- Members are allowed to check-out multiple items at one time, but are limited to one per type. In other words, you can check out a tent, sleeping bag and sleeping pad for the weekend, but you will not be able to check out two tents under one membership.
- There is a 4 day maximum rental per item (starting the day you check it out). 10 day maximum rentals go in effect during break and summer hours
- All items must be returned by the due date to avoid a late fee of $5/item/day. Once the equipment is more than 7 days late, the renter will be charged the full replacement value of the equipment.
- The renter is responsbile for the full replacement cost of lost, stolen, or damanged equipment. The equipment is accepted by the renter "as is"; the renter has the responsbility to examine the equipment prior to acepting it. If the equipment is returned soiled or dirty, the renter will be assessed a minimum $5 cleaning fee.
- Late fees, replacement costs, and the cleaning feees are subject to billing through CSU Accounts Receivable and are subject to regulations concerining overdue accounts.
- Failure to pay late fees, replacement fees, and cleaning fees once notified will result in an inability to access or use Campus Recreation Facilities, Services, and Programs. Once payment has been received, access will be reinstated.
- Advanced reservations are not available. All rentals will be handled on a first-come-first-served basis.
- Members are allowed to purchase multiple one-month passes throughout the year and up to 2 concurrent memberships.
The following outdoor items are available for rent:
CSU Campus Recreation does not provide technical training for avalanche gear. We strongly recommend you receive formal training, from a certified agency, before traveling in backcountry terrain.
The American Institute for Avalanche Research and Education offers multiple courses throughout the winter in various parts of Colorado. Click here for a full list of courses.
We also recommend to always do check out the weather and avalanche forecast for the region you will be traveling to. The Colorado Avalanche Information Center has detailed information, forecasts, and maps to help keep you safe in the backcountry.
Still have questions? Check out a list of FAQs here.